From:
"Cooley, Brad" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:25:01 -0400
On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:54:52 +0100, Geoffrey Purcell
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Re climate:- While some palaeos lived in pleasant climates, others also lived
in extremely harsh climates where cooking food would have been an awkward
choice. I can't help thinking that part of the reason why the Inuit ate so much
raw food was because it was, in certain situations, just too much hassle to
cook food in such a climate(eg:- during shortages of animal-derived oils for
cooking)

[Brad]  The Inuit ate plenty of food cooked as well.  Caribou were typically
cooked.  It was not a hassle to cook.   If the weather was such that they
could not cook, they generally could not hunt either.

>Re free time:- Which palaeoanthropologists claim a period of only 4 hours per
day? That seems ridiculously low, and probably based on  very unusual modern
hunter-gatherers in the tropics, with plentiful access to wild vegetables/fruits
and the like. Even in the latter scenario, 4 hours is too small, IMO. I mean, it's
a fact that famines were common-place among more modern hunter-
gatherers, and the feast-and-famine notion has been routinely ascribed to
Palaeolithic tribes by many researchers. Frequent famine, by its very
definition, implies that hunter-gathererers had to spend vast amounts of time
hunting for food that wasn't there for the most part, so they couldn't just
have sat around all day or they would have all died of starvation.

[Brad]  Famines were not "common-place".  In fact, HGs generally lived in
environments that provided a surplus of food.  In most tribes, less than a third
of the tribe was typically involved in hunting and gathering.  Often a fraction
of the hunters provided the vast majority of the meat.  It is a documented
fact that HGs had large amounts of free time which they spent singing,
dancing, playing games, etc.  The actual work of hunting, food prep, building
shelter, making material, etc. was not burdensome.

>Plus, human culture is so complicated(even in the Palaeolithic), that any
sparse free time , other than hunting/gathering, would have been given over
to any number of activities, not just cooking food. Abd, like I said, judging
from Inuit etc. habits re eating raw meats right on the spot instead of taking
them home, Palaeo tribespeople likely only ate cooked-foods when it was
convenient(ie when they had the time) and, otherwise, just ate the foods raw.

[Brad] For HGs convenience was less of an issue than preference or need.
Cooking typically was not a problem.

If you are genuinely interested in reviewing the literature on this topic, I
recommend that you start with Man The Hunter by Richard Lee and/or Limited
Wants, Unlimited Means by Gowdy (?).