From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 16:11:22 EDT
Rachel,

This is great information!  Thank you so much!!  Where did you get the quotes
from Cordain?  Does he have a Web site somewhere?  All I've seen from him is
on the paleodiet listserv archives.  It's very interesting stuff, but hard to
find information on specific topics.

Re tomatoes and other nightshade plants... I took another look at the lectin
article I found on the internet (http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html), and it
says:

===========
Think of a lectin as a protein containing a key that fits a certain type of
lock. This lock is a specific type of carbohydrate. All life forms, plant and
animal, insect and fungus have cell membranes that contain carbohydrates that
sit within and project from the membrane. If a lectin with the right key
comes in contact with one of these 'locks' on the gut wall or artery or gland
or organ it 'opens the lock', that is disrupts the membrane and damages the
cell and may initiate a cascade of immune and autoimmune events leading to
cell death.

The major known potentially 'toxic' lectin containing food groups are:

- grains, especially wheat and wheat germ but also quinoa, rice, buckwheat,
oats, rye, barley, millet and corn.

- legumes (all dried beans, including soy and peanuts),

- dairy (perhaps more so when cows are feed grains instead of grass, a
speculation based on research showing transference of lectins into breast
milk and dairy and potentially more harmful in pasteurized, processed milk
because of the reduction of SIgA, an immunoglobulin that binds dangerous
lectins , Biol Neonate 1991;59(3):121-5 Davin JC et al The high
lectin-binding capacity of human secretory IgA protects nonspecifically
mucosae against environmental antigens.), NOTE: Only breast milk is good for
babies.

- nightshade (includes potato, tomato, eggplant and pepper).
============

So maybe this is where the nightshade problem comes from.

<<Beets ARE NOT tubers; they are
roots, like carrots.  Beets may be eaten raw...>>

What is a tuber, exactly?  Are parsnips and turnips tubers or roots?  Also,
why is this distinction important?  Did paleo people make this distinction?

<<Although not paleo, if you want to keep using dairy products, you
would be wise to find a source of 100% or nearly 100% pasture raised milk to
turn into yogurt or kefir.  Check out www.eatwild.com to learn more about
grass fed (pasture raised) animal producs.>>

Thanks for the link.  I live in rural Vermont and I do have easy access to
pasture-fed cows for milk and meat, and free-range chickens for eggs and meat
(all hormone/antibiotic free).  There is also hunting here, and my boyfriend
wants to go catch us some deer or moose or bear this fall.  We've been
getting milk from the farm for the yogurt--hot from the cow (literally).  But
we are going to stop making it.  It was yummy, but I think it was
contributing to my chubbiness (along with the nuts).  I also need to be very
careful about disturbed omega6/omega3 balances because I have an inflammatory
problem (the ulcerative colitus).

The one thing I'm concerned about with quitting the lacto-fermented food
(yogurt and fermented vegetables, which necessarily contain salt) is how I'm
going to make sure my gut is populated with beneficial bacteria to keep the
bad bugs in check.  Or is this something I don't need to worry about if I'm
not eating complex carbs?

<<Here is what Cordain has to say about vinegars:
"Vinegar is a very bad idea for autoimmune patients as well because of its
influence upon tight junction physiology in intestinal epithelia.">>

I've been wondering about vinegar.  Unfortunately, I don't understand what
this means.  Where does the quote come from?  I'd like to read it in context.

<<If you have leaky gut syndrome and/or candida
overgrowth, I have read that taking psyllium daily (2 or 3 teaspoons
dissolve in cold water and consumed with an additional 2 cups of water,
first thing in the morning), may help to rid you of candida and heal the
leaky gut (provided you also remove the offending foods, such as beans,
grains, soy sauce, and other things that can irritate the intestines.)>>

I was taking psyllium husks for a while.  They are vile (in texture, not
taste), but effective.  On the other hand, they are grain.  I read that in
one of Ray's messages in the archives.  But maybe this is an exception that's
worth making.

Thanks again for all the great info.  I really appreciate it!!

     - Sheryl