From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 10:57:28 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:

>What makes sense to me is the idea that they noticed the fact
>that when wild wheat was ready to be gathered, they obtained a
>good amount of food, and the grains could be kept for a period.

But you're forgetting that until man selectively bred it all the seeds
spontaneously fell off at the same time, when they were ripe. And with
their points they stuck into the ground. Not at all easy to gather, unless
you pick them before they ripen.

Somewhere there is a web article that discusses that gathering in the Near
East started about 17,000 years ago, then about 11,000 years ago they
starting planting it. Tools are required to make grain seeds edible, and
this leaves evidence behind.

Don.