From:
Kenneth Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:49:26 -0500
 Joseph Berne asked:

... "does anybody have any references to the science
behind the acid-alkali theory (that certain foods in the diet cause the
body's pH to go up or down, resulting in mineral losses or other problems as
the body works extra hard to buffer itself)?  Loren Cordain doesn't explain
the chemistry behind this at all (acid producing foods are not the same as
acidic foods, and base producing foods are not necessarily basic
pre-digestion, according to the theory) and I can't find any real
explanations or details in the sites I've visited that explore this topic...

---------------

 Here are a few studies mentioned by Cordain in an interview:
http://www.mercola.com/article/carbohydrates/paleolithic_diet2.htm)

(Barzel US. The skeleton as an ion exchange: implications for the role
of acid-base imbalance in the genesis of osteoporosis. J Bone Miner
Res. 1995; 10: 1431-36).

(Barzel US, Massey LK Excess dietary protein can adversely affect
bone. J Nutr 1998; 128:1051-53).

 (Remer T, et al. Potential renal acid loads of foods and its
influence on urine pH. J Am Diet Assoc. 1995 Jul; 95: 791-97).

Ken