Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:20:34 -0800
Thanks Tom. I don't think it's the carbohydrates specifically. I have followed a diet similar to Atkins (with a few personal modifications) for over two years. I am actually eating more carbohydrates now because I'm allowed fruit ... Which I love!

I'm thinking that it's the dairy or grains. And, that they have a similar effect on arthritis as the carbs have on your allergies.

It seems to me that the Celebrex has a kind of reverberation effect. When I take it, my arthritis feels worse when the Celebrex wears off than it did before I started taking it. It's been about 6 days since I stopped, and I feel better than I did on days 1,2, & 3.

I would be interested to know if anyone can figure out how the cox2 inhibitors affect digestive acid production (it is supposed to be easier on your stomach than other NSAIDS) and how that impacts all of the other systems (insulin release, etc.)

Hi Ardeith! (Grin ... But it's so hard to see where I'm walking when I'm sneezing!)

Tom Bridgeland wrote:
Hello Nancy, I don't know if my experience is at all relevent to you,
our problems are different, but for what it is worth...I have noticed a very close connection between carbohydrates andsymptoms of hay fever. I am allergic to a tree here in Japan that
produces pollen for about three months in the spring. This is the
first year in 8 that I have not suffered all night from hay fever. No
medicine this year either.
If I eat any carbos at all, in about an hour my hay fever hits, and
holds on for several hours before fading away. I have tested this
several times, having no attack even in heavy pollen areas as long as
I don't eat carbos, and getting severe attacks even inside buildings
if I eat carbos. A big carbo meal seems to bring on a longer attack.
It is hard, I get cranky when I eat zero carbs, but the relief of not
having allergy symptoms makes it worth it for me. For the next 3
months I am going to try to keep carbs very low.
I wonder if your improvement is also related to a lower carb diet.
Arthritis is different from hay fever, so it may not help.

NancyO wrote:I am trying to not take it, but since I work as a FedEx
Courier, and the arthritis I suffer from primarily affects my feet,
it's tough. It also seems that the Celebrex aggravates my allergies.
I've been eating Paleo for about 2 months, and had noticed that I
rarely needed to take antihistamines any more.