From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:44:11 +0100
To be fair, 1 scientist strongly doubted the conclusions of the study as he pointed out that the transition to zero-carb often involved fatigue and other side-effects as the body adjusted. He suggested that a much longer study was required to see if the memory-lapses got eventually reduced or not:-

"

Australian research scientist Grant D. Brinkworth, PhD, tells WebMD that the findings, while intriguing, do not prove that low-carbohydrate weight loss diets affect memory.

In a study published in 2007, Brinkworth and colleagues performed cognitive function testing on dieters after they had been on either a low-carb or high-carb weight-loss diet for eight weeks.

Both groups lost weight and showed improvements in mood.

The low-carbohydrate dieters showed slight impairments in cognitive processing speed, but no difference was recorded between the two groups in working memory.

Brinkworth says if eliminating carbohydrates from the diet does affect memory, the effect may only be temporary.

"What (Taylor and colleagues) recorded may be an acute, transient effect that may just be the body readjusting to an unfamiliar diet," he says. "We really need studies that examine the long-term impact of these diets on cognition."

Calls to a representative from the private equity firm North Castle Partners, which owns controlling interest in Atkins Nutritional Holdings, were not immediately returned."

taken from:-

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=94998

My own experience was rather different, too. In the first few weeks of (raw)

zero-carb, I noticed that, in the first few weeks, my alertness/concentration increased, but that, after c.3 weeks, my concentration/alertness levels substantially decreased. So, I'd imagine that there are plenty of differences in individuals' experiences with zero-carb.

Geoff

> Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 22:24:10 -0600
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Zero carb (or not?)
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> According to http://proteins-carb-fats.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_lowcarb_diets_can_affect_the_brain
>
> "The results of a new study to be published in the February 2009 issue of Appetite conducted by researchers from the psychology department of Tufts University show those who follow a low-carb diet perform worse on memory-based tasks and have a slower reaction time than those following a calorie-restricted diet. The findings of the study also show that once carbs are reintroduced into the diet of participants following a low-carb diet, cognitive functioning returns to normal, pre-study levels".
>
> http://proteins-carb-fats.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_lowcarb_diets_can_affect_the_brain#ixzz0JhCCU8Ox&D
>
> "While the study was only conducted over a three-week period of time in total, results suggest that after only one week of severe carbohydrate restriction, a diet low in carbohydrates has a negative impact on brain functions such as memory and learning. More research is needed to determine whether this effect on brain functioning continues as a low-carb diet is continued or whether cognitive functioning returns to normal once the body adjusts to being on a new diet."
>
> This coincides with my own experience. As a programmer I need to be sharp the entire day. Mult-million and billion-dollar companies do not like software errors to cost them money. In the past, when I have experimented with zero-carb I would often find myself "thinking through a fog". Once a small amount of carbs were reintroduced, the fog magically lifted. Now, I realize the body compensates somewhat, but I have my doubts about its efficiency at doing so.

Get the best of MSN on your mobile
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/147991039/direct/01/