From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:23:40 -0700
> > I finally found an endocrinologist...

>Count Me in :-)  TIA (Dedy)

Rob Rees-Jones, MD is the Jesus, Allah and Buddha of endocronoligy.  I went
in on the theory that my thyroid or pituitary gland might be the cause of my
inability to lose more weight (see History below).  While explaining earlier
test results and symptoms, I see him writing 'PCOS' on his pad.  "Oh, I know
all about PCOS.  I've looked into that before, but was told it's a low-grade
case and not the problem since certain hormonal levels aren't that far off."
  Now, I'd suspected this was BS at first but, without insurance over much
of the last few years, I couldn't afford to dig any deeper.  I'm now very
pissed at myself for accepting pure hogwash.  Rees-Jones says, "Oh, it's
highly unlikely that's the case.  Your levels may not be far off, Dori, but
they ARE off and something's clearly going on here. And we're gonna beat
this!"  I was stunned.  The visit ended on a wonderfully uplifting note and
when he left the office, I cried for.  FINALLY, somebody who believed me
when I said, "Some'n just ain't right!" and treated me with r-e-s-p-e-c-t,
to borrow an Aretha Franklin line.  Rees-Jones not only supports but uses a
low-carb diet to treat diabetes, PCOS and obesity.  'Magine that!  I can't
wait to see him again when the test results come in.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO

History: Went low-carb, lost major weight.  Read article on PCOS (polycystic
ovarian syndrome) and nearly fall out of chair; ariticle described me to a
tee.  As a contract worker had no insurance but learned of study on
glucophage vs. PCOS.  Got cornucopia of blood tests for free (woo hoo!) but
didn't qualify; one level not high enough to fit parameters.  Scrimped,
saved, saw endo.  "Yes, you have PCOS but a low grade case."  Prescribed
glucophage.  Nada.  Ask her to up dose; wouldn't (I forget why).  Continued
to lose weight, but hit wall at 50 lbs.  Couldn't afford to see endo again
and she said PCOS wasn't the problem so what could I do?  Diet alone had
regulated menses, ended insomnia, etc. and I was able to keep weight off so
kept plugging along.  Still nothing.  Suspected thyroid and read up on it
but couldn't afford tests treatment and resentful of establish, anyway so
give up.  Keep eating paleo low-carb

Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage.