From:
Possum Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 20:25:33 -0400
Dori Zook wrote:
>Note the "expert's" reference to genetics.  I wonder what she would say if
informed of a hunter-gatherer's documented downfall of general health,
including rapid weight gain, after switching to the modern diet.  But then,
she works for the federal gubment; what, you expect her to admit she's
wrong?

It is true that Native Americans are much more prone to getting diabetes
then European Americans.

>Tim Gallego, editor of the Lakota Journal, largely blames the federal
government, referring to the 'conspiracy theory' of herding Indians onto
reservations, making hunting difficult, then giving Native Americans
unhealthy foods

HOW TRUE!!! The feds have tried to kill off the American Indians by running
them off of their land, shooting them, starving them, poisoning them and now
kill 'em with diabetes!

> One man (last name Iron Cloud) has a program aimed directly at the
diabetes epidemic

Diabetes also is spreading all across the Cherokee reservation.

>Thanks to him, all reservation schools check children for diabetes.

If they care so much for the children, why don't they feed them "real food"
in those schools?

> Someone needs to talk to Dr. Cordain, but I digress.  She goes on to blame
"genetics plus environmental issues" saying the environment (unhealthy
foods, lack of exercise) is probably the greatest influence.

> When asked by Donvan about buffalo and whether or not the younger
generation is willing to eat it, she says yes, they seem to be and talks
about how as a lean meat is healthy (more anti-fat propaganda).  She also
pointed out there needs to be more of it (agreed).

Elk have been re-introduced to the Smokey Mountains
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/gsmsite/elkborn.html I wonder how long it will be
until they migrate next door to the reservation so the Cherokee can hunt
them.

> Acton also cited the role of poverty in diabetes,

I have a friend who is on WIC/Food stamps. The whole list of approved WIC
foods is nothing but refined carbs! NOT A SINGLE HEALTHY FOOD ON THE LIST!
BTW, He is diabetic and his wife is hypoglycemic!
I would go to trapping and hunting my own meat before I fed that garbage to
my family, but each to his own. I gave him a copy of Neanderthin, but his
diabetic counseling nurse said that diet is bad for you! *sigh*

Kevin Raper
Piedmont, SC
Southern Cherokee Nation