From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 21:47:12 -0800
>Are they actually being overfished, or is it that the
>fish populations are being mis-managed? Being a native
>of Idaho I am well aware of the problems the Pacific
>salmon population faces. I don't necessarily believe
>they are being overfished - rather, the spawning areas
>in the Pacific Northwest have been pretty much
>eliminated. I see that as mis-management of a natural
>resource.

Yes i would like to reinforce that because the main problem with human
activity is not because they eat too much but because of their enlarged
other needs ( may be to compensate for the basic feeling of lack arising
from undernourishment).
here the salmon population is thinning because mostly of the destruction of
their natives rivers and streams thru logging their watersheds.

And somebody in Idaho or japan have as much impact on that thru the amount
of paper and wood products consumed , than the people eating salmon . In
fact the best way to protect a species might be to eat it and  to have  high
criterias of quality.

 However, it seems unlikely we could
>feed a large population with land animals only. (They
>just take way too long to mature). Unless we resort to
>genocide or world war, the poplulation of the world is
>not going to decrease in the near future. It only
>seems logical that we would *have* to turn to the
>oceans as an option.

A new neolithic revolution , domestication of the sea animals and plants.
Wrong way we know the history of the 1st one. ( global diminution of
biomass, reduction of species, augmentation of "human biomass")
The only solution is to go the other way around, augmenting the diversity
and totality of biomass
>(Planting  trees and sowing seed will automatically augment the population
of animals living from it).

Among the potential animal foods, there is the underestimated insect
population ( if really we succed at eliminating  the more evolved species
,and we are still here , insects will be able to provide the needed
essential nutrients ( do we ask the Fda to provide us with some database of
nutrients in insects? i bet there is w3 in them )
Insects are easy to raise and provide nutritious meals.
they are land animals quick to mature and can feed a big population
jean-claude