From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:20:03 +0100
The way I see it, the link between enzyme-deficiency among older people and the fact that they all eat cooked-diets is the most likely explanation available(after all SAD diets and palaeo diets involve so many differences to each other that the only common thread is the cooked-aspect - an example would be comparing a cooked-vegan diet to an atkins diet, both being reasonably popular and who also are featured in various food-science studies).
It may not be cast-iron proof right now(few things in food-science are), but so far, there is little to suggest that non-palaeo foods cause this enzyme-deficiency. I guess I'm just using Occam's Razor here.

. The only way to disprove it would be to show proof that non-SAD-eating palaeodieters suffered far less from such enzyme-related issues than SAD-eaters. Ideally, for the purposes of the experiment, the tested group would have to be 100% zero-carb-eating cooked-palaeos. After all, a standard cooked-palaeodiet generally involves eating 35% carbs(most eaten raw - I think Cordain et al suggest eating the carbs either raw or only very lightly steamed etc.), so that raw element might be said to alleviate some of the negative issues from the cooked-element of the diet.

Re comment:- :"Except for meats.  Are we in agreement that there are no digestive enzymes
> in meats?"

 What about the edogenous proteases in raw muscle-meats etc.? Seems a rather wrong assumption.

Re studies on enzymes:- I'll post some studies on enzymes in the other post.

Geoff

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/137984870/direct/01/