From:
David Lewandowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:41:28 -0700
At 06:07 PM 06/26/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>The problem is this: Each time that I stick to the guidelines for about 1-2
>weeks I get this horrible growling hunger in my stomach.  It's not a
>blood-sugar drop kind of hungry which I am very familiar with from my former
>life - it's a gnawing and very distracting feeling.  Eating paleo foods
>(with plenty of fat) doesn't help.  I need to concentrate at work so I end
>up eating rice or ice cream or flour tortillas for a few meals and I can get
>it to go away.  At least now I can get right back on the wagon again where
>at the beginning it would set me off track for days.
>
>So anyway, I'm wondering how we survived as a species eating basically meat
>& veggies for so long.  I can't go 2 weeks.  It makes me think that I'm
>missing something, but what?

        You're missing the alteration in brain chemistry processed foods provided.
An addict of any sort goes through this whether it's sugar or cocaine they
are withdrawing from.

>I have read the Nourishing Traditions book as well as Price's Nutrition and
>Physical Degeneration.  Both are very convincing - Price's pictures really
>deliver the message.  Life would be a lot easier if I could make a sandwich
>from sprouted grains or eat some oatmeal (soaked first) now and then.  Plus
>it would fill me up better.  A friend at work is from Taiwan and she says in
>her culture you don't feel full unless you've had rice.

        You could get the same effect by eating sand. Being full and being
completely satisfied are two distinctly different feelings. It just
requires some time to adjust.

>I am very interested in finding out how people are faring under the
>Nourishing Traditions guidelines.  Is there a list or bulletin board where
>these people chat?  Have any of you tried both and have reasons for choosing
>paleo?  I know that keeping the carb counts reasonably low helps a lot of my
>problems and I would continue to do that no matter what.  I am interested in
>feeling good now and preventing chronic disease later.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Lisa

        The danger after a short exposure to an eating digest or chat room is that
those that remain for any period of time tend to be obsessed with food. I
found it better to learn the basic philosophy. Apply it and note the results.

Dave