From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:59:37 -0500
Lurisia Dale wrote:

>I could not eat agree with Kathleen more.  Despite
>what Dr. Atkins or anyone else says, forcing your body
>into ketosis to lose weight is not healthy.

What, precisely, is unhealthy about it?

>The bottom line for any diet is calories in versus
>calories out.  You need to burn more than you eat.

That's true to some extent, but there are confounding variables.  How
much you burn depends to some extent on *what* you eat, and not just how
much.

>Your goal
>should be to lose *fat*, not weight,

That's true, and in order to burn stored body fat, your insulin levels
must be low enough to permit it, because insulin inhibits the use of
body fat as fuel.  If insulin levels are up, you won't burn body fat no
matter how little you eat.  This is why studies show that on isocaloric
diets, those lower in carbs result in (a) more weight loss, and (b) more
fat loss.

Todd Moody