From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 00:21:35 +0000
On Nov 01, 2005, at 7:02 pm, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Todd > I don't have a general opinion of high protein diets, since
> that
> term only describes one aspect of a diet.  It depends on what else is
> going on.
>
> I think it's fair to say that you are the most knowlegeable
> participant
> on this list, Todd.  Although you seem at times hesistant to do so,
> you
> would do us all a great service by summarizing your current
> thinking on
> paleo diet with respect to macronutrient ratios and healthful classes
> of foods?  I believe that a healthful diet consists of high good fat,
> moderate protein and saturated fat, low carb, dairy, salt, alcohol and
> zero frankenfats, artificial sweeteners, msg, nitrates, gluten grains,
> legumes, coffee, and chocolate.  Where do you agree or disagree?

I'd like to butt in here...

Personally, I don't believe that a high-protein diet *actually
exists*, as it quickly leads to starvation and death.  I mistakenly
followed Cordain's advice about lean meat for a long time, and found
myself gorging on fruit and nuts almost to the point of being sick.
(I did actually once throw up an obscene amount of dried fruit, which
I ate one night because my body was so desperate to make up the fat
deficit.)

I don't believe that a high-protein diet has ever damaged anyone's
kidneys because I suspect they all either (a) abandoned the diet very
quickly or (b) died well before their kidneys saw any damage.

The way I see things, your mouth and stomach are the best guide to
the ratio of macronutrients in your diet.  Our bodies have millions
of years of evolution behind them, whereas our modern pseudo-wisdom
has been around for 50 years - 10000 years (depending which pile of
garbage you are interested in).  The nice thing about eating paleo is
that it takes no restraint- there's nothing in a pure paleo diet that
you could realistically overeat on (maybe dried fruit and honey- but
these become sickening quickly, and dried fruit isn't problematic for
most people).  For example, I used to eat chips by the bucket load
and still have a round or two of toast after if I was hungry.  Now
with some meals I eat parsnips sliced like chips (well more like
french fries) and shallow fried in animal fat- there is NO WAY I
could over eat on them.  After about 3/4 of a big parsnip my body is
saying NO MORE!

Ashley