From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:50:05 -0400
On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Mary wrote:

> Didn't people on the Lewis and Clark expedition eat something like 11 pounds
> of 14 pounds per day?? I can't remember the exact figure, but it was huge.

It's possible, especially for people hiking over rough terrain
carrying heavy loads.  Since a pound of beef is about 1,100
calories, even 10 lbs. would be 11,000 calories, a pretty large
amount.  On the other hand, backpackers know that it can be a
challenge to obtain enough calories to maintain strength and
bodyweight during a long journey.  This is the great advantage of
pemmican.  Because the water is removed, it is very calorically
dense, and it is much higher in fat than in protein.

At least some of the people on the expedition were subject to
continuous hard work, and for them the heroic caloric intake may
have been necessary.

Todd Moody