From:
Valerie Goldstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:00:51 -0500
There is actually a very big listserv about feeding pets a raw-food,
natural, no-grain diet.  The address is on my home computer if anyone's
interested.  The diet (BARF -- Bones and Raw Food) is a combination of:

meaty, raw bones (like chicken backs or necks),
pureed veggies (you can use ends of raw veggies you don't eat; pureeing
imitates the vegetation a carnivore would find in the stomach of a prey
animal, chewed and partially digested),
pure meat like stew meat or ground meat
organ meats,
large, raw meaty bones for chewing (knucklebones of cattle, for example),
-- raw because they don't splinter that way.  Dogs and cats were made to
eat raw bones.
kelp powder and alfalfa for vitamin/mineral supplements
oils rich in omega 3 and omega 6

Unfortunately, my dog is quite old (14) and did not make a good transition,
so I put her back on a very natural dry dog food.  Just let me know if
you'd like the address to subscribe, and I can get it from my home computer

VAL

**************
>Date:    Sun, 18 Jun 2000 21:24:13 -0700
>From:    Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: paleo kitten?
>

>>Hi Mary,
>>
>>Susan, is the cat on a paleo cat diet??? all raw organs all raw meat,,etc???
>>
>>I neglected to say that we have had Simon, the paleo cat, for only a week
>>so the earmites came with the cat and weren't caused by the paleodiet.
>>
>>Paleopetting-
>>Susan
Valerie Goldstein
Department of Sociology