From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 17:47:43 -0600
At 02:37 PM 5/14/01 -0700, Wally Day wrote:
>> Hmmm...
>>
>> I have always dried meat and fish  on a wire mesh in
>> front of a fan at room
>> temperature with no problem--except if the ambient
>> humidity is very high (as
>> it is here in Hawaii unfortunately) then mold
>> sometimes beats the drying. I
>> guess I don't know what to make of your wet bison.
>> Let us know if you figure
>> it out.
>
>Kirt, could you describe your setup a little more? How
>much meat/fish do you dry at a time? What do you think
>the advantage of this method is as opposed to using a
>dehydrator?

Not Kirt, but I use a variation--I have a gas oven and the heat from the
pilot flame is enough to keep it slightly warm and dry.  In my own opinion,
it's better to use the least heat possible so you don't destroy all the
good enzymes and such--it takes longer that way, though--meat 1/4 inch
thick can take a couple of days, easily.

Dianne