From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 22:21:01 -0400
 > Really off topic here, but speaking of GI reactions, I've dramaticly
 > cut down the amount of methane I release into the atmosphere.

Nothing unusual there.  Gas is most often caused by indigestible
carbohydrate (and possibly indigestible protein) in the gut.  The stuff
ferments in your bowels and gas is generated.

If you're not eating foods that contain substances your body can't
naturally digest, then the amount of gas you'll produce will be strictly
limited.  If you're on a paleodiet, by a totally amazing and wholly
mystifying coincidence, you will also not be eating much of any of the
foods that cause gas.  ;-)

By the way, there is a product on the market called BEANO which basically
contains the enzymes that are necessary to digest most of the indigestible
substances that cause gas. It only works one meal at a time, of course, but
it's interesting, no?

I've often heard about the "dangers" of low-carbohydrate diets being the
halitosis some people experience (which is caused by ketones excreted from
the lungs), and whenever I do I always find it amusing to point out the
chronic flatulence caused by so many "healthy" low-fat diets like the
Ornish diet.

 -=-=-

Once in a while you get shown the light/
 In the strangest of places if you look at it right   ---Robert Hunter

http://www.syndicomm.com/esmay