From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:05:33 -0500
From: Amadeus Schmidt
> But it is in nature to hunters available only in relative small amounts.
>
> Only industry generated animals (pig, 30-40% fat) or arctic animals
> (walrus) have an adequate fat proportion.
>
> Again the question to Ray Audette: Do you eat your rabbits
> with fat from other sources?

Pemmican was manufactured for 200 years by the Hudson's Bay Company from
buffalo hunted on the Northern Plains.  All the fat used was rendered from
the buffalo alone and very little meat was wasted.

Modern domestic animals that produce high fat have been bred to emphaze
traits shared by all Pleistocene Megafauna.  These fat storing animals
dominated during all but the last 10k years of the last two million years of
homo sapien history.  During this time there were very few trees in
temperate latitudes ( according to pollen traped in ice sheets and
sedimentary mud formations) Temperate covered a far larger part of the earth
during ice ages and is the only climate where early homo sapiens have been
found.  Most of the earth's land mass (including most of europe, asia and
africa) consisted of temperate steppe-tundra and temperate dry savannah
during this period.  Ice caps covered only the most northern and southern
parts of the continents (including Africa).  Cows, sheep, camels, lamas and
pigs are only examples of Pleistocene megafauna that survived through the
mechanism of domestication.

Homo sapiens have never thrived in tropical regions as evidenced by our lack
of ability to withstand the onslaught of tropical diseases and parasites
that cause little problem for tropical Primates who have evolved to tolerate
them.

It is hard to get full on rabbits alone.  One hour after I eat one I'm
hungry for another.  The Inuit had a phrase "rabbit starvation" and knew
that if you tried to live on lean rabbit meat alone one would starve - no
matter how much you ate.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"
http://www.neanderthin.com