From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 14:30:24 +0200
Bernhard wrote:
I wrote:
>>(as already discussed here, coagulated and pre fermented milk was
>> available and used in paleolithic times by hunters of "calves").

>We never came to the conclusion or saw any evidence toward the idea

>that
>calf-stomach milk was available in such quantity and frequency cause
>selective pressure.
Well, it WAS available, especially in the easyer  to hunt
calves. Since calves live ON milk the stomaches should mostly include
milk parts (coagulated= fresh cheese). That's a difference to
tomatoes, paprica, corn (new world food) and fish.
These food items *are* inexistent as food
in paleolithic times, aren't they?.

I don't speak about the amounts found. But stomach contents should
be comparable in volume to brain or marrow, for example.

>My
>conclusion is that although it must have happened, just as grains

>must have
>been used from time to time, it wasn't significant enough to support

>dairy
>use for people seeking to replicate a 'paleo' diet.

That's the question, what amounts of food for a how long time
are necessary to cause an adaption.
If a food item contains some ingredient with the intention to
protect the origination plant or animal by its toxic properties,
then clearly an adaption time is necessary.
Then additional enzymatic systems must be built up by the body
to cope with that stuff.
Example: lectins.. fruit acids.. antitrypsin in legumes..
solanin in potatoes.. "hot" and spicy items..
Some protective stuffs can be handled by human body, or are
even welcome (like the spices').
Some newer -non paleo-  stuff (solanin, coffeine..) may or will cause
health problems.
Heat processing (by fire) is and was a main human digestion and
toxin lowering technology.

Fortunately for hunters, meat normaly protects itself by
having claws or teeth , or by running away :-)

>  I have similar
>misgivings about eggs, although not as strong, and only eat them
>occasionally.

Eggs are high allergenic. But i think they must have been eaten
for a very long time (paleo) because africa is populated with birds.
I'd be interested to hear what *your* misgivings about eggs are
(i dont want them too).
Egg white contains a protective chemical (hindering protein

digestion).

ahm back to milk...
We are mammals - we *are* intended to get milk
by nature in the first years.
So we have the enzymatic ability to digest it.
Common opinion was, that we (some of us) loose our digestion
ability by the inability to digest lactose in the adult years.
The article quoted by Dean Esmay gives a hint that it may be

different.
Lactose may be *intended* (by nature) not to be digested, but to aid
a proper symbiontic population in the colon and intestine.

regards

Amadeus

---
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net