From:
"Owens, Kate" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:41:29 +0100

I am sorry to break in but I have this trivia thing that always bugs me
about discussions of what our dogs should be eating and vegetable
suggestions. I may be wrong but it is now what I truly believe.
Observers of the Sawtooth wolf pack have noticed wolves dragging the
stomach along with its contents away from the carcass they are feeding
on.  It has only been an assumption that wolves devour vegetable matter
by eating the stomach.  My dogs used to eat around the finely chopped
veggies I dutifully put in with their meat until I read the item above.
Now they eat eggs, fish, meat and raw bones with some kibble as filler
and to keep them used to having it for traveling.  They enjoy a chunk of
carrot tossed their way but it is mostly play for them and not "food".
Going back to Quietly Lurking,
Kate
Date:    Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:10:13 -0800
From:    Brenda Young <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Paleo dog food

Sorry for the bad words, but for real,

*****  Oh dear.  Remember that "note to self" I promised ya'all???
About keeping my mouth and fingers shut after drinking wine??  I lost my
note last night, sigh.  Of course, it was someone else's fault...saw an
old friend I hadn't seen in months and he just kept pouring that wine
down my throat.  LOL.

I really miss our old vet, he went from scoffing at my nutty dirt and
telling me that kibble was a perfectly balanced proper diet to asking me
for research materials and if he could give my number out to other
clients if they needed help with raw feeding.

Our current vet is not so raw feeding friendly, but at this point my
dogs are old enough (13, 12, 10 & 2) that the results speak for
themselves. All of my dogs are in excellent health & the older dogs
still play like puppies.

Robyn

  *****  Oh Robyn, you are sooo lucky, sister!!!  No one around this
area is so enlightened.  I have learned to "fudge" a bit now when I go
to the vet.  When I fill out the forms, I say "raw and home-cooked" for
the question of what I feed.  Somehow, the "home-cooked" seems to save
me from unwanted lectures.  I still get "the look" on the raw bones
part, but at least I don't have to sit through their psychobabble about
how dogs are OMNIVORES.  Sheesh, seems to me that I would have flunked
biology class with that answer.  And you are right, our visits to the
vet are very few and far between since Paleo Dog Feeding, lol.

  Love,
  Bren, searching for her note

---------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:14:36 -0800
From:    ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>

On Dec 12, 2006, at 6:45 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> It is important to remember that raw meat alone  will not give dogs
> the proper calcium to magnesium ratio, they need  to chew on edible
> bones.
>
> Robyn

Thanks, Robyn; nobody said differently, but I guess we just assume that
folks know that. Dogs/wolves eat everything of a carcass that they
possibly can, leaving the huge bones - no place for neurotic
"recreation" in the wild - and the aforementioned stomach contents.

Perusing the links at the rawfeeding list site will provide a lot of
background info.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:19:33 -0700
From:    [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: PALEOFOOD Digest - 10 Dec 2006 to 11 Dec 2006 - Special
issue (#2006-275)

thanks!  I'll check it out...

Date:    Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:55:21 -0800
From:    Brenda Young <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Yeast, was Cooking Fats

    It seems logical to me that
> the immune system is like any other system in the body... use it or
> lose it. A lot of our modern problems, allergies, autoimmune disease,
> susceptibility to infection, antibiotic resistant super-bacteria, etc.
> could be symptoms of this.

> Boy, do I agree with THAT, William!!

I wrote that, not William. :D

  *****  Oooops!!!  Mea culpa!!

> "Use it or lose it", yes indeed!! "They" try to convince us to use
their nasty vaccines using the theory that if we're exposed to a bit of
something, it will "cure" us. Well, OK, I happen to apply that theory to
the bugs, bacteria, etc., that Lysol, et al, tries to tell us will make
us sick or kill us. Pfffft. And shouldn't all you people who eat raw
meat be dead by now??? Hehehe.

  Right. The entire concept of vaccination depends on the idea that an
immune system exposed to small amounts of infection will "learn to
defend itself." It follows that an immune system not exposed to any
quantity of infection will not learn anything. Who wants to have a dumb
immune system??

  *****  LOL.

As far as the antibacterials go, I heard a news report several years ago
in which a couple of doctors attacked the entire idea of antibacterial
soap saying that it was a farce perpetrated on the American consumer. To
paraphrase, they said that antibacterial soap only works if you clean
*everything* at a certain temperature for a certain minimum amount of
time. They also said that, in fact, if you used antibacterial soap in
any other way you were only killing the weakest of the germs and
assuring that the nastiest critters thrived. They further admonished the
viewers to avoid all antibacterial products and reserve their use for
places where they were really necessary, like hospitals.

  *****  Well, yeah.  And the nastiest critters just mutate into nastier
and stronger forms.  Unfortunately, those two doctors haven't made a
dent into the brainwashing most people have gotten.

> PS Last night, my hubby and a friend of ours was asking me how spinach
and onions are getting the ecoli. I read something about that a while
back, but forgot exactly what the deal was. If it's appropriate subject
matter for this list, could someone re-inform me??? Seems to me that the
farmers were using some kind of animal matter (in chemical form??) for
pest-control, or something like that. ?????

I live and work very near to the part of Santa Barbara County, CA, where
the infected spinach was found. Others have mentioned the various
explanations that have been given. Personally, I don't worry about it
very much. The news reports always say that the persons most endangered
by this sort of contamination are small children, the elderly, and those
with compromised immune systems due to disease. Since everyone in my
household is young and healthy, and there are no children, I don't give
it a second thought. I can deal with some "flu like symptoms" if I have
to.

  *****  Oh, I absolutely agree with you, Adam-not-William, hehehe.  I
am not worried about the ecoli...it was just one of those things that
someone asks you and then it makes you curious, is all!!  (About how it
happened.)  I told them the same thing you just said...If ya ain't real
old, real young or real sick, ya don't gotta worry about it!!!

  Love,
  Bren

---------------------------------
Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email
and get things done faster.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:09:53 -0800
From:    Adam Sroka <[log in to unmask]>

Brenda Young wrote:
> I live and work very near to the part of Santa Barbara County, CA,
> where the infected spinach was found. Others have mentioned the
> various explanations that have been given. Personally, I don't worry
> about it very much. The news reports always say that the persons most
> endangered by this sort of contamination are small children, the
> elderly, and those with compromised immune systems due to disease.
> Since everyone in my household is young and healthy, and there are no
> children, I don't give it a second thought. I can deal with some "flu
like symptoms" if I have to.

>   *****  Oh, I absolutely agree with you, Adam-not-William, hehehe.  I
am not worried about the ecoli...it was just one of those things that
someone asks you and then it makes you curious, is all!!  (About how it
happened.)  I told them the same thing you just said...If ya ain't real
old, real young or real sick, ya don't gotta worry about it!!!

P.S. I heard on this morning's news that the Taco Bell green onions were
grown in a field in Oxnard that I drive by every day on my way to work.
Of course, now they are saying that they aren't sure if it was the green
onions after all...

End of PALEOFOOD Digest - 12 Dec 2006 (#2006-278)