From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 20:24:37 +1000
Hmmm,
roots
root vegetables have such a long shelf life and we know so little about
them.
why such a long shelf life? Possibly they have enormous amounts of
antioxidants.
but they used to be a major staple until.....
Until when???
Until the refrigerator came along 50 to 70 years or so back. Not very long
to we paleodoods.
Here's a reference about what Americans used to eat
http://waltonfeed.com/old/default.htm (I'm an Aussie, but I was brought up
on Jeff's Collie)
Do you know how hard I searched the internet to find out the antioxidant
content of root vegetables?
And the answer wasn't there. Even www.dogpile.com  couldn't find it. But the
USDA site http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/ did show me they're very
high in phytosterols.
Yet, back in the good old days we used to live on them, going back millions
of years. Yet we know more about peanut butter than root vegetables. Not
very logical.

Well, there's you're answer, everyone stored root vegetables and used them
during the winter- they didn't have to dig up all that snow. Not too much
ketosis hopefully.

If anyone can give me information about the properties of root vegetables,
I'd appreciate it. I know they're dull and boring, but they are one of the
missing links to the dietary past! Maybe it's time we got bck to our roots.

Ben Balzer