From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:54:59 -0400
On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:42:29 -0400, Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I consider this "microwave cooking is dangerous or unhealthy"
>folklore to be like other quackeries like psychic phenomena or UFOs,
>or at least other hoaxes that get internet circulation.
>
>Thanks to a reader for sending me this reference:
>
>  http://rabi.phys.virginia.edu/HTW/microwave_ovens.html
>
>Philip Thrift

I recall that most of Siobhans points against microwaves were against
dangers of ovens possibly leaching some microwaves, when in operation.

This is not the normal case it betrays only damaged ovens.

However i think it should be considered that the high-frequency output
of such a mw-oven is *1000-fold* compared to that of a cell phone.
And how much is speculated if such a cellphone sending near the head
could damage the eye due to over-heating it's precious parts.

Mw-ovens radiate exactely on the water-heating frequency.
Humans are 65% water (some humans possibly some percent less ;-))

I wouldn't rely on the statements of the above web-site, that you could
"sense the worming" if an oven was leaching.
Before you feel warmth on your hands, your eyes and ears could be damaged.

Better to stay away of a operating mw-oven.

Furthermore, there are some points what microwaving might do to the
food cooked. I've not studied all the claims, but one thing seems clear:
Such a thing heats the food in all water-containing parts simultaneously.

Except in frozen (or still-frozen) parts. And less in dryer parts.
In this way some parts could be heated less - too less to kill of bacteria.
And because it *is* worm, bacteria can multiply if not well cooked.

btw, why use a mircowave anyway?
Are konventional ovens unknown over there?
They have a much bigger power than the mw-ovens.

But really if these servings are microwaved or not, is the least thing
I'd be concerned about.

cheers

Amadeus