From:
Andrea Hughett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 09:56:23 -0800
--- "Maddy Mason, Accord, NY" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> Many years ago, during my "eat like Euell Gibbons of
> 'Stalking the Wild
> Asparagus' fame" period, I made a Sumac drink by
> just boiling the red seed pods,
> cooling and straining.

We used to make "sumac ade" in Girl Scouts.  You don't
even need to boil the berries, jsut soak for a while.
It does, as you say, take  a lot of sugar.  I wonder
if it would be easir to drink if you simply diluted it
- I like a dash of lemon juice in my water, where I
would not drink the lemon juice straight.  Or could it
be used in other recipes where one would use lemon or
lime juice?  I'll have to check that out come fall.

OTOH, I don't know if the sumac used in middle eastern
cooking is the same thing - I got the impression that
is a leaf, whether or the same or a related plant I
don't know.  If I can find my copy of the Frugal
Gourmet's Immigrant Ancestors book I'll check it out.

Andrea

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html