From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:53:59 +0000
Actually, there's even more evidence in favour of the theory that AGEs are harmful than for any other type of heat-created toxin. And, by this, I'm not just talking about the endogenous AGEs within the body but studies showing that dietary AGEs are also harmful.

Here's a few examples of numerous studies on on dietary AGEs and how ingesting dietary AGEs increases the levels of AGEs within the body, and thus increasing health-problems such as atherosclerosis:-

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118691723/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/116318027/abstract

http://biomed.gerontologyjournals.org/cgi/content/full/62/4/427?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=Vlassara&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&volume=62&issue=4&resourcetype=HWCIT

Here's a study showing that a low-AGE diet leads to lower levels of AGEs within the body:-

http://jasn.asnjournals.org/cgi/content/full/14/3/728

Now, there are, of course, some caveats. As pointed out by a rawist on another palaeo forum, it's not just the raw aspect that's important but the quality of the foods, when it comes to AGEs. As shown below:-

"“Another, largely unrecognized, source of dietary AGEs is animal products from animals fed a high-AGE and/or an AGE-inducing diet. This probably includes most commercial poultry, grain-fed beef, and other animals that have high levels of AGEs and/or AGE inducers in their diet. Any ‘fattened’ animal has probably been fed such a diet since that is how rapid weight gain can be produced.” taken from:-

http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/17/1687/advanced-diabetes/

I know a few palaeos don't mind consuming grainfed meats, but the above should give them pause for thought.

Another relevant comment from the above link which confirms a previous point I made:-

"It’s easily missed in the paper, but fats are really big-time AGE producers when cooked at high temperatures,” Joe tells me. “I’ll be posting some data soon. Vegetable fats contain very little saturated fats and they are usually cooked less severely. Since we Americans usually prefer roasted and broiled meats – and much of the fat is on the outside – the meat-based saturated fat gets really high in AGE content when browned. That may be the reason saturated fats are linked to health issues….It’s the AGEs generated from cooking, not the saturated fats themselves. "

I do agree with you re the megastudies, though, that they aren't that conclusive as they don't always take into account other factors sucha s lifestyles etc.

Geoff

> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:27:15 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Dr. McDougall
> To: [log in to unmask]
>

> Since Eades has a voracious appetite for anything published,
> peer-review or not, for or against low-carb nutrition, I assume no-one
> has shown that dietary AGEs become circulatory AGEs. Are you aware of
> anything on that?

Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/