Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:18:15 -0400
Karen Robinson posted:
>>My mother is still struggling with high blood pressure, Now I'm concerned
>>about the sodium content of meats. She's eating chicken, turkey, (mostly
>> grass-fed, sometimes not), fish and eggs for  animal protein. Lots of
>>veggies, small amount of fruit, butter and liberal amounts of olive oil....
>>has been eating a small amount of low-salt cheese.... systolic pressure was
>>200 even when she was feeling relaxed

>>...the animal foods seem to contain higher amounts of sodium even when
unsalted, than many of the vegetarian foods she used to eat.

My reply:
Red meat and poultry are actually relatively low in sodium and high in
potassium.  It is a myth that flesh foods are invariably high in sodium.
Poultry and fish are both low in sodium and rich in potassium. Beef contains
mroe sodium and less potassium than beef, but is not what I would call high.
I doubt that unprocessed meat is a major sodium source in your mom's diet.

Is she adding salt to foods, if so, how much?  Is she using condiments that
contain salt?  You might urge her to read labels for any condiments or
canned (tomato) products she might be buying.  Cheese, even low sodium
cheese, may be a larger contribution to your mom's diet than she realizes.
Other sodium culprits may be bacon, sausage, canned fish that contains salt,
grilled chicken from fast food eateries, deli meats, olives, pickles, or
other salty condiments.  No-salt cheese (I tried it once) tastes pretty
unusual to modern taste buds, not very appleaing in my opinion.

I doubt red meat is the problem. Why eat red meat?  There are many reasons.

Red meat is rich in phenylalanine, an amino acid that raises brain levels of
norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter that accentuates alertness.
Phenylalanine increases the release of cholecystokinen (CCK), a hormone that
signals satiety, a boon to those seeking fat loss and body recomposition.

Red meat is rich in methionine, glycine, and arginine, three amino acids
from which our bodies can manufacture creatine, a high energy compound that
improves anaerobic performance.  Red meat is rich in ready made creatine,
which many athletes take in supplemental form.

Red meats contain more B-vitamins, particularly B-3, B-6 and B-12, than fish
and poultry.  B-vitamins are necessary for blood cell and energy production.
B-6 and B-12 have been shown to reduce homocysteine levels, which may help
prevent heart disease.  Animal  foods are the only reliable sources of
vitamin B12, outside of fortified processed food, which have many drawbacks.

Red meat contains more iron than white meats and a more biologically active
form of iron (heme iron) than is found in vegetables.  Iron transports
oxygen to muscles.  Many young girls and women, fail to get enough of
iron---due to low calorie dieting and avoidance of meat.  Athletes have
higher iron needs than non-athletes. Female vegetarian and vegan athletes
often suffer from iron deficiency and related disorders.

Red meats are some of the richest sources of zinc, essential for muscle
repair, production of digestive enzymes, immune function, and optimal
reproductive health. Low zinc levels can lead to acne and other skin
problems, digestive or mood disorders, suppressed immunity, loss of libido,
and reduced recovery after training or injury.  Several research teams have
shown that men who do not eat meat have sub-optimal testosterone levels and
that women who avoid meat are prone to menstrual and eating disorders.
White meat poultry, tuna, white meat fish, and eggs are poor zinc sources
and the zinc contained in grains, nuts, and seeds is poorly absorbed due to
phytates (fiber complexes) naturally present in these foods.

Grass fed meat is a good source of omega 3s, CLA, and contains more vitamins
and minerals than grain-fed conventional and even organically raised meat.

Dark meat poultry contains more iron and zinc than white meat, which is a
poor source of iron.)  Eggs would make a far larger contribution to total
sodium intake than unprocessed meats, if the meats are eaten in 4- to
6-ounce portions at a given meal.

SODIUM CONTENT OF SELECTED FOODS
2 eggs 340 mg. sodium
4 oz. lean beef, 93 mg. sodium
4 oz. turkey breast 72 mg sodium
4 oz. cod, 69 mg sodium

Most folks are surprised to find out that poultry and fish are so rich in
potassium.

Potassium Powerhouses (Fresh Foods):

Food (serving size):  mg potassium

Flounder (6-oz) 996
Winter squash (1 cup) 946
Salmon, fresh (6 oz.) 756
Cod (6 oz.) 690
Beef, lean round (4 oz.) 630
Avocado (1/2 med) 602
Asparagus, lightly cooked (1 cup) 558
Raisins (1/2 cup) 545
Turkey, cooked (6 oz.) 518
Sardines, atlantic (3 oz.) 501
Collard greens, cooked (1 cup) 468
Orange juice fresh squeezed (1 cup) 496
Apricots, dried (1/4 cup) 451
Banana (1 med) 450
Chicken (6 oz.) 414
Sweet potato, sold as yam (1 med) 350
Celery, diced (1 cup) 341
Tuna, no salt, drained (4 oz.) 300
Orange (1 med) 263

Sources:
Food For Health, A Nutrition Encyclopedia, by Ensminger, et al.  Pegus
Press, Clovis, CA.
Understanding Vitamins & Minerals by the Prevention Total Health
System/Rodale Press, Emmaus, PA.