From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 06:57:56 -0500
Paleogal wrote:

>I am wondering if you were losing weight during this time.....  That would
>increase your cholesterol levels.....   Get it checked again and compare the
>results.....   Oliva

I think it's the other way around.  Weight loss tends to decrease
cholesterol levels (LDL in particular) in most people.  When I went on
paleo I had already lost just about all the weight I was going to lose,
but my LDL went up about as much as Tom's (but started and ended
somewhat higher).  It has dropped a bit in the five years since then,
but not much.  I think it's pretty well established the certain
saturates downregulate hepatic LDL receptors.  In some people the liver
may compensate by putting out less LDL, but clearly this is not the case
for everybody.  I did get an increase in HDL as well, but it took longer.

Todd Moody