Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 22:02:32 -0800
>I read alot about fats. Good fats, bad fats. What do
>the "PALEO GURUs" think of adding oil supplements such
>as FLAX SEED OIL, or even UDOs OIL BLEND?

If yer gonna do oils, stick to the freshest, most
unprocessed - chew seeds/nuts, or at least get the
oils processed in nitrogen & shipped in black bottles.
Udo's is way overpriced IMO.

For me, anyway, I can't take seed oils -- they make
me cranky and sluggish. I do better with olive oil
and the natural fats in fish, nuts & coconut.

>ALSO, if I feel I'm lacking veggies, is having a shake
>of a product like GREENS+ a good idea??

Not especially. They are very expensive for the nutrients
you get. A whole head of Romaine lettuce (organic even)
would cost far less on a vitamin-mineral-phyto basis
than a scoop or two of green algae sludge. If only
a shake will do, get the top-of-the-line juicer
and take the filter out. I heard that frozen bananas
whip up to a nice replacement for soft-serve ice cream.

>Lack of fiber with all the meat -- How about Sillium
>supplements??

Psyllium and other soluble fibers can actually cause
bowel iritation. Fiber mania goes all the way back
to Kellogg, a whacko sex-pervert faddist, and the 1980's
oat-bran craze was beneficial mostly to the grains-
byproduct industry. If you're eating all the vegs
and fruit that a typical NeanderEater eats, then
you can toss out the laxatives, especially if dairy
and grains went into the trash can earlier.

I'd encourage a rereading of NeanderThin, and see
whether the bodybuilding-supplements approach fits
into the Paleolithic WOL.