From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 18:32:10 -0500
Aileen Keller wrote:
> Here is the Dallas/Fort Worth area.  Yes, there's lard here but it's
> partially hydrogenated, for longer shelf life, I'm assuming.  What I had as
> a little girl in Germany had to be refrigerated so I'm assuming it was purer
> and not hydrogenated.

Aileen, I live in a small town in Iowa.  Here we can get
lard from small local meat "lockers."  These are the places
that the farmers use for butchering the beef or pig raised
for meat and also where they take their deer.  You might try
small town phone books, asking your butcher or asking a
hunter friend where they take their deer if they don't do it
themselves.  Also watch the want ads now that deer season is
approaching.  Around here, nonhydrogenated lard is known as
"raw" lard.  Good luck!

--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee