From:
Mike Dilger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:32:32 -0700
I just joined this list.

I didn't know there was such an overlap of Paleo people with Natural
Hygienists (raw food espousers).  I don't think raw is good when it
comes to meat, for many reasons, and ESPECIALLY if you didn't just catch
that wild game yourself (in which case raw is probably A-OK).  Today's
meat has been sitting around long enough to become infected.  And fed
wrongly, so it is infected easier.  If you want to eat raw meat, I
highly suggest running after a wild pig with a spear, and eating it
within hours of your kill.  And even then you will get tricinosis
parasites.  Want to be really paleo?  Go eat some parasites.  Go get
infected with something.  Die at 22 like they all did.

Now, from the more scientific bent...

I have been reading the palentologist technical published papers, and
from what I see, humans have been cooking for probably about 380,000 -
465,000 years (newest finds in Menez Dregan site in France).  That's
much longer than the 50,000 year speciation time (Richard Dawkins), so I
think we have adapted to it.  Even more conservative estimates have it
at 230,000 to 300,000 years ago (Terra Amata site).  These sites found
actual hearths!  We could have been roasting over fires even earlier,
but there would be little evidence of that left.

As I say, I'm new to this list and even this field.  I'd love to be
"schooled" by my elders here.

-Mike