From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:22:53 -0500
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:34:35 +0100, Paul Sand <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>To keep metabolism up you need to keep your kcals levels on a proper level.
>It has nothing to do with eating carbs or not.

Say a person is overfat and desires to lose weight.  That person then
embarks on a low carb, sufficient calorie regime and begins to lose fat.
Over time, the weightloss slows to a crawl and/or stops.  I think that
there is evidence that this could be caused by a slowing of the metabolism
regardless of caloric intake.  This would be caused by the body's natural
resistance to losing fat ie it is protection against starvation.  This
would explain why weight reduction in response to either low calorie or low
carb diets can result in a reduction of thyroid hormone.  The Eades
(authors of Protein Power) mention that they often give their patients
supplemental thyroid hormone during the weightloss phase of their diet.
Atkins mentioned on his site a study that indicated reduction in thyroid
hormones during weight loss on various diets.