From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:52:48 +1100
At 3:48 +1100 20/12/99, Keith Waymark wrote:

>    We are Carey & Keith Waymark.

Hi Keith, Hi Carey,

Welcome to the List!

>    Carey was diagnosed with Chronic Progressive Multiple Sclerosis over
>20 years ago and it is progressing chronically in accordance with the
>diagnosis.

I have heard of several people who have improved their MS symptoms by
following a Paleo diet, but I am not aware of any who have been on this
list while making the change from a western diet. I have a personal
interest in MS, as several good friends of my family have MS. I have
encouraged the switch to a paleodiet, but without some evidence that it
will be an improvement, they are reluctant to try.

I hope you can tolerate our little squabbles and digressions, and keep us
informed of Carey's (hopeful) improvements!

>With the blinders ripped off, this diet makes *total* sense.

Indeed, this way of eating (and indeed way of life) is a revelation.
It makes _so_ much sense it is hard to see why people get led astray
into a grain-based diet.

I guess it's because the damage caused by diet occurs over such a long
space of time, it is hard to come to the realisation that your morning
bagel is killing you.

>    I suppose the biggest question in our mind at the moment is just
>what proportions of meat/vegies/nuts/fruit is *right*.

Well, I don't know that my diet is "right", but I tend to eat whatever I
crave on a day-to-day basis. Sometimes I only eat fruit, sometimes only
meat or nuts. I rarely have a vegetable-only day.

I imagine this is a 'paleo' way of eating, as hunter-gatherers would
probably have hunted or gathered until they had enough food for the day,
then stopped work. Sometimes the food would be fruit or nuts -- other times
they might kill a large animal and only eat meat.

Our eating patterns have undoubtedly been distorted by the availability of
food -- refrigeration and transport has made almost any food item available
year-round just by visiting the supermarket! Perhaps because of this
availability, I usually eat a fairly 'well-balanced' diet -- a steak, some
eggs and a huge salad (or some veggies) followed by 'dessert' of fruit and
nuts.

And don't forget to eat fish -- marine oils are particularly healthy!

All the best,
 ...Richard.