Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 15:10:14 -0600
>It's not a religion. There is no supreme being involved, no great questions
>regarding man's or the earth's genesis and no code of conduct. Etc., etc.

That's a very narrow definition of religion.  I think you and I both know
that it is used in more ways than that.  Anyway, the Paleo religion most
certainly does have a code of conduct:

1.  Thou shalt not eat that processed by man
2.  Thou shalt not eat that artificially created by man
3.  Thou shalt not eat that artificially modified by man
4.  Thou shalt not eat the grains
5.  Thou shalt not consume the milk of another animal
6.  Thou shalt not listen to any other diet
7.  Thou shalt not listen to anyone who disagrees with the Paleo religion
8.  Thou shalt drink plenty of water
9.  Thou shalt sleep soon after it gets dark
10. Thou shalt not eat too many carbs
11. Thou shalt eat the fat
12. Thou shalt consume the flesh and organs of any animal except man and
his pets
13. Thou shalt eat plenty of veggies
14. Thou shalt not eat too much fruit, except in the summer
15. Thou shalt spread the word by lending Ray's book to friends, family,
and co-workers

:-)

>It (the paleo diet) is simply a theory or hypothesis about what foods early
>hominids (and early man) ate and which is advanced as the regime modern man
>should follow for maximum health.

Yes it is, and it may well be a very accurate theory, but nobody knows for
sure.  To believe in it, as some people do, one must make a leap of faith
based upon logical conclusions.

Go through the archives and search for "believe".  Then join another group
on another subject (e.g., cross stitch, automobile mechanics, dress making,
hiking, etc.) with a similar number of members, and search those
archives.  I suspect that you will find it occurring more times than
average in this group.   There are other groups more religious than this
one (christian groups, activist groups, civil rights groups, morality
discussion groups, political groups, environmental groups, etc.), the
amount of religion seems to increase according to the impact of the subject
on people's everyday lives.

Haven't you ever noticed that "non-supportive" posts are condemned on most
groups?  Even if the conclusion of those topics may prove beneficial when
the thoughts are followed through?  People don't like to have their beliefs
questioned.  Most support groups exists primarily to talk to people who
believe similar things to you, and contradiction of those beliefs is not
encouraged.

>No, religion is when people believe in something not real based on illogical
>conclusions... :-)

Well, now we're disputing what's logical and illogical.  I think I'd rather
not go down that branch of conversation.

>But, you are really simplifying what real religion is by saying that people
>who strongly agree with a theory about eating are religious.

To me, religion signifies strong thoughts about something non-real based
upon logical (or illogical) conclusions.

Examples: forms of diet, forms of exercise, politics, spiritual thoughts,
morals, rights, etc.

>Perhaps they are devout paleoists who study paleoism? :-)

lol.

Katrina.