From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 08:08:15 -0400
Jim Cales wrote:

> On the other hand his suggestion that one eat only raw, live foods
> seems pretty hard to dispute.
>
> Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome.

I think the idea that one should eat only raw, live foods is entirely
disputable. Some foods are better for you raw. Many other foods are as
good, or better for you cooked. Many nutrients are reduced by cooking
and others are made more absorbable. Many dangerous toxins and parasites
are reduced by cooking. Contrary to the personal testimony of your
neighborhood instincto (basing his findings on a sample of one), one of
the ways wild animals as well as people get sick and die, is from eating
raw meat that has diseases or parasites. Check out beyondveg.com for a
variety of information on that topic. Did you notice the news story
recently about the discovery of a 200,000 year old "barbecue pit" at
Atapuerca? Cooking has been in our evolutionary past for a very long
time--plenty of time for us to adapt to it.

Hilary McClure
Danville, VT