Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:43:59 -0400

The anthropologist V. Stefansson lived among the Eskimos of northern Canada
for some 7 years and became an authority of primitive Eskimo life. His
reports appeared in many journals where he emphasized the excellent state of
their health and freedom from disease.

Stefansson wrote:
The partially digested plant food of the caribou stomach is removed, dressed
with oil, and eaten as a salad.

Question: If you think you are eating paleo and use the Eskimos as an
example to emulate, are you eating the stomach contents of your meat as a
salad?

http://vitaminb17.org/is_cancer_merely_a_vitamin_deficiency.htm
Richard MacKarness made a detailed study of Eskimos living on the polar ice,
and American Indians eating traditional diets. In their natural environments
both groups are mostly carnivorous, eating wild game including Elk and
Caribou, supplemented only by wild berries when available in season.

This is my first post but I thought something had to be said to this load of tripe.  with statements being taken completely out of context.

I would not have caught this but I happen to be reading Fat of the Land by Steffanson.  A fantastic book that relegates low fat and hunter-gathering into the collective trash.

First off the preface to him talking about this was talking about the Mackenzie district Eskimo habits relating to vegetable content:
1:  Famine
2:  They liked berries(only in season)
3:  This caribou stomach contents STRICTLY(my emphasis) in connection with this oil.

To summarize Steffanson, the only time they ate this "salad" was if the oil was brought in from a far, such as white whale into a sealing community, and the question being how would they eat this oil.  If there was boiled lean meat on hand, they would dip that.  Only if they went through all the options did they suggest caribou stomach, and it would receive an uneven reception.  So that finally the majority would end up DIPPING the stomach contents in oil,  while the rest just dipped their fingers in it and licked the oil off.

I've never heard of this detailed study that a diet doctor, Mackarness, in Britain actually did.  Are you speaking about his diet book?  I believe he took the idea straight from Stefansson's research just as Blake Donaldson had years before.  Infact Mackarness switched tracts later in his career suggesting elimination diets instead of an all meat style.

By the way Jay I hope you get a lot of Hydroxocobalamin injections.

Later

Eric

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com