From:
"Cooley, Brad" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:09:59 -0400
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:20:10 -0400, Tracy Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Geoffrey Purcell wrote:

>Yes...my point was that not all paleo bones show signs of malnutrition
>or starvation.

The archaeological evidence is overwhelming in that paleolithic bones show
much fewer signs (in some cases none) of disease, malnutrition, etc. than
neolithic/agricultural bones.  Not that it never existed.  The fact that some
paleos starved does not mean that their diet was poor, but that at some point
they had no diet at all!

>AGE's/ALE's could be just that - an association. This was interesting:
>"Experimental studies suggest that increased deposition of AGEs/ALEs in
>tissues is strongly associated with down-regulation of leptin expression
>in adipocytes and metabolic syndrome."  Metabolic syndrome = high
>circulating insulin levels, insulin resistance, etc. Leptin
>down-regulation = high triglycerides, which are a common occurence in
>high-carb diets. Suddenly, we're back to glucose as a factor, if not in
>their formation but in their deposition. Note I say FACTOR. Everything
>works together in the body. So my interest is if AGE's/ALE's are
>primarily a problem for people who have an internal situation in which
>deposition of these things is increased due to existing diet-related
>conditions -- and not a problem (or perhaps much less of a problem) in
>people who do not. HIgh levels are repeatedly found in ppl with chronic
>disease -- ok, but are they the CAUSE of the disease, or are they a
>factor combined with several other factors?

I have been meaning to research this more thoroughly since Geoffrey keeps
making this point re AGEs and cooked meat.  I understand that the damage
from AGEs is from glycation occuring within the body due to high blood glucose
levels, not from dietary consumption.  I did find a reference that ~ 30% of
AGEs consumed pass through the gut into the bloodstream, but am still
skeptical whether this would have a negative effect on a heatlhy person (ie,
the internal environment mitigates any potential damage).

I suspect this is more raw propaganda.  Unless you cook meat at a high
temperature (how high I wonder?) with sugar, I do not think that AGEs can
form.  I know nothing about ALEs.

The bottom line to me is that restriction of carbohydrate provides 90% or
more of the possible health benefit from diet.  Everything else is tweaking a
good thing.  I am open minded about the benefits of eating raw, but feel that
the relative benefit of going raw vs cooked is very small.