From:
Torsten Bürger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 21:30:15 +0200
"Eva Hedin" wrote:

> It is true that bacteria feed on iron so when people get infected the body
> responds with lowering the amount of iron that you have in your body. Then
> you go to the doctor and they noticed a very long time ago that sick
people
> often have low deposits of iron and doctors believe that the best thing is
> to give you some iron. And believe it or not, they don't do it out of the
> evil of their hearts, they do it because they were never taught to think
in
> evolutionary terms.

In the end time of pregnancy or during the time of infection the body lowers
the iron level in blood by various ways. Same happens during menstruation,
because just like when wounded there is an entry possibily for microbes. The
iron is bound in many forms that bacteria can not feed on (e.g. ferritin).
The body is literally starving the aggressors. After the infection the body
releases the iron again, which is of course necassary for various body
function (e.g. transportation of oxigen).
In some third world countries people are always exposed to germs and they
reacted by eating a low iron diet. Our wanting-the-best doctors also thought
they should treat this deficiency with supplements. Result in these cases
were that lots of people died from infection.

During any time I think it is not necessary to take any iron supplements
when eating paleo (especially meat) because our bodies only take what they
need at the time. This point of taking-at-need is often misunderstood by
some "experts" with not-being-able-to-take. Unfortunatly the body needs some
time to regulate iron absorbtion. When given a high amount during the time
between blood level rising and counter regulation by the body the danger of
infection is therefore highest.

Lets not think we are more clever than our bodies are.

Cheers
Torsten