From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 05:30:29 +0000
>The meat hung to dry age for about two weeks in
>their facility.
><...>
>--Richard
>
>do you know why they age it?
>Wouldn't it be more Paleo to skip the aging?

Actually, I think it's probably more Paleo to age it. They didn't have
refrigerators either, and a large carcass "hangs" around for a while. Meat
becomes more tender and edible as it hangs, due to natural bacterial
action. The open-air refrigerator storage some of us use for our meat is a
form of aging, too; the meat just becomes sweeter and more tender the more
it sits.

I can conceive of an initial gutting of the animal, consuming the organs
and some body cavity fat, then hanging the rest from a tree to keep some of
the night scavengers and predators from devouring it, and just cutting off
bits as hunger arose...

Ya think?

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!