From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 11:39:38 -0400
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> >palm oil at Web site www.mpopc.org.my/abtenbopo3.htm,
>
> Great that palm oil!
>
> I've never encounterd such a red palm oil (when it has carotenes ot ought
> to have red colour).
> I suppose that this palm oil is quite something different than the usual
> white "palm oil" you can buy for cooking like coconut oil.
> Possibly this is palm kernel oil then.

 Yes, it is red. A strong orangey red. It is about the color of Tabasco
sauce, if you know what that is (Louisiana hot sauce).
 No, it is not palm kernel oil. It is palm oil, cooked and pressed out
of the fruit. It is red because of less refining. It has a strong
flavor.
 I got mine at an ethnic supermarket in the Prospect Heights area of
Brooklyn. The bottle I have is from West Africa, where the oil palm
originally comes from. It is also made in other parts of the world now,
such as Malaysia (although I don't know if they make any of the red oil
there). If you would like to know all about it have a look here:
<http://www.cup.org/books/kiple/palmoil.htm>

Hilary McClure
Danville, VT