From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 10:41:49 -0700
> BTW, they're called bison, not buffalo. And I just
> recently learned that when
> native americans hunted animals, they always looked
> for the oldest, because
> the old ones have the most amount of fat, in the
> belly and along the spine.

That's only part of the story. Native Americans were
very bright in ways we will probably never understand.
Yes, they selected the oldest members of the herd (and
stragglers as well), not only because of the fat, but
also because they "instinctively" understood that if
they repeatedly hunted the youngest and/or strongest
they would reduce the quality and quantity of the
herd. Same thing with plant foods. Whereas we
(moderns) usually choose to eat the prettiest, most
succulant vegetables, Native Americans were known for
naturally "thinning" a crop by picking and eating the
puniest, least appetizing plants and promoting the
growth of the best plants for future seed collection.
Our firm will soon begin a campaign for New West
Foods.  In short,
this

> Denver company has six individual products (buffalo
> and ostrich) that will be available in 3,000 chain
> grocery stores by the end of this year.

Dori, will you be posting a list of stores who will
carry this meat? Will they be starting distribution in
the western US first?