From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 02:50:12 -0500
On Mon, 14 May 2001 20:34:55 -0400, Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>"M.E. Craddock" wrote:
>>
>> When doing some searching on phytic acid i found a site about oats that
said
>> phytic acid also acts as an antioxidant.......if so, how can it be a
totally
>> bad thing?
>> Not trying to argue a case for phytic acid...just wondering about it...
>>
>> Mary C.

I've done a phytin net search too and placed some of the resulting texts
on the net at  http://www.geocities.com/paleolix/phytincollect.htm
(there's some text in german and english).

Some texts really consider phytin to be of some benefit, particularly in
oilseeds. Even some anti-cancer proterties from animal experiments reported.

Phytin really has been a threat in the times where (most) humans ate 80% of
all protein and energy from cereals (e.g. from 6000bc to 1800 ad).
This could be helped by the traditional processing techniques, obviously.

I think today, in times with low suply of minerals (in common western diets)
phytin does play a role too. Less is eaten, but almost always without
traditional processing, and often together with other mineral sources.

IMO phytin is a real threat to the muesli-movement, where modern
"health-conscious" people are very fond of eating all the whole-grain foods
(often as a add on) and forget that's not so easy to go back to the
nutrition of the stone age anchestors (of neolithicum). There was a reason
to eat how they ate.

>BHA and BHT are antioxidants also, which doesn't make them good for you.
>I think many things that are bad for you aren't totally bad for you.
>
>Hilary McClure

What is BHA and BHT?

Amadeus