Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 19:52:18 -0400
Sheryl Canter posted this:
>>Where did you get the quotes from Cordain?  Does he have a Web site somewhere?

My reply:
I've been corresponding with him.  He going to write the foreword for my
paleo diet cookbook. I've also interviewed him for some potential articles.
(I'm a freelance food and health writer, cooking instructor, etc.)  tHis
book should help fill in a lot of information for you when it comes out in
January.  Some of his writings may be found at <www.beyondveg.com>

You asked  "What is a tuber, exactly? "  A tuber is the underground storage
"organ" of a plant.  Examples include potatoes and sweet potatoes (note:
potatoes are less  nutritious and have a higher glycemic load than sweet
potatoes).  Roots grown downward:  carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, turnips,
radishes.  It is believed that some primitive groups ate both roots and
tubers.

You said you live in rural Vermont and I do have easy access to
pasture-fed cows for milk and meat, and free-range chickens for eggs and
meat.  That is great.  It would be ideal, if you can, to get animals that
are fed little or now grain.  Ask questions to find out what they are fed.

Consider taking a good probiotic supplement.  The best quality and most
economical one I've found, sold in natural food stores, is Nature's Way
(brand) Primadophilus REUTERI.  It's cincially proven and contains certain
beneficial flora strains not found in other probiotitics.  It is
hypotallergenic and sold in the refrigerator section of health food stores.

<<Here is what Cordain has to say about vinegars:
"Vinegar is a very bad idea for autoimmune patients as well because of its
influence upon tight junction physiology in intestinal epithelia.">>

The quote about vinegar, from a correspondence with Cordain, basically says
that it can weaken the intestinal wall, which can allowing food to pass
through the wall that should not.  The context was a discussion about how
even modest, infrequent amounts of vinegars and tamari (soy sauce) can
upset intestinal epithelial tissues and aggravate the condition of
individuals who have autoimmune disorders.  (Btw:  A lot of Americans have
ailments that fall into this category.)

Psyllium husks are not grains.  They come from a seed.  Btw: If you have not
read articles found on the <www.paleodiet.com> site, I urge you to spend
some time there.  You'll find many articles on the problems with grains,
beans, legumes, etc.

You might want to put a pre-order in for Cordain's book.

Best of health,

Rachel