From:
Phil Genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:29:46 -0400

> ATTENTION ALL PALEOS:  URGENT ADVICE NEEDED FOR MAKING SALMON JERKY!!!!

   I have 2 lbs of wild Pacific Coho.  I skinned the filets, cut into strips and am
soaking in salt brine.  Then, I will remove from brine, dry fish and do a dry rub
of spices. The strips will sit in this overnight until tomorrow a.m., at which
point, they will go into my Excalibur Dehydrator.

So here's the "rub" so to speak.  The book says to set machine at 145 degrees (F)
and dry fish for 14 hours. .  But I don't want to kill the enzymes or destroy the
great fish oils.  Has anyone done this procedure at under 102 degrees (F) and had
salmon jerky that didn't either go rancid or  kill them with some strange bacterial
food poisoning. .  Obviously if it worked, you'd be alive  reading this and able to
respond!!!!

I've done my venison and beef jerky at 95 (F), and it came out great, but salmon
oils are trickier than lean meat.....

Also, I'd like to add a little bit of honey to the rub.  Will that mess up this
process even more? (the Excalibur recipe calls for sugar, and I really hate the
taste of  stevia as a substitute).

Maybe I need crisis intervention hotline for this...

Hopefully  some caveperson out there is reading this and will answer by  tomorrow
morning.

Thank you in advance!!!! Please respond to <[log in to unmask]>

Judy Genova, cavegirl with some last minute fish on her hands....