From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 18:36:16 GMT
On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:47:52 +1000, Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi,
>that is exactly the information I want. I think it's premature to say that
>we know all of the antioxidants and their various roles and relative
>importance. Please forward the details of the reference so I can gat a copy.

I didn't have a copy, it was something I read.

However, if you go to a good search engine (like www.google.com ) and enter
"blueberries antioxidant" or some such, you will be able to find relevant
information.

I'm often amused at the way scientists feel they need to word things in order to
get published.    For example:

" During storage at temperatures greater than 0 degrees C, anthocyanin content
of raspberries and strawberries increased substantially, and this increase was
accompanied by an increase in total antioxidant capacity. "

Which translates as - berries are better for you when they are riper ! :-)

Aha... after checking the various results from the above described search, here
is the web page of the actual researchers (instead of the web page of the
agricultural organizations promoting the results):

http://www.hnrc.tufts.edu/researchprograms/USDALabResProgDes/Webhome.html

Note that they mention that the antioxidants are generally in the juice rather
than the pulp, so that differences in ranking on the chart may simply be the
"juiciness" of the foods in question (although remember that the fiber in the
pulp has other benefits, such as slowing absorption of carbohydrates).

--
Cheers,

Ken