From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 21:33:45 -0400
Dave:
>Supplements other than fish oil sources. It is too
>bad but health does not come in a bottle. Our bodies
>are designed to get nourishment from food. A skilled
>nutritionist may be able to help you correct an imbalance.
>This might take a month of supplementation but
>afterwards you will need to "swim" on your own
>with foods that will allow your body to maintain its
>proper balance. Essentially supplements are just as
>manufactured as pharmaceuticals Good food is cheaper
>and will allow your body to find its proper balance.
>All of the statements about the depletion of the soil
>is nice but your body only needs enough of each nutrient
>and is very good at balancing itself if given a chance and
>not interfered with. If anyone chooses to supplement
>that is your choice but I consider
>discussions of this on the list to be off topic.>>

Siobhan:
>>Your point about these things being off-topic are
>>well-taken. However, I think you should present
>>your statements above as your opinion, not fact,
>>as they contain a number of inaccuracies.

Dave:
>>>These statements are based upon my clinical experience
>>>as a nutritionist for a couple of years at a holistic
>>>center and then later in private practice.

Yet, they contradict the experience of most (paleo)
nutritionists.  Besides, you were a vegan so why
give so much credence to your own clinical skills back
then?

Dave:
>>>Would you care to share what you consider
>>>inaccuracies?

I will bite. The implication that all supplements
are as harmful as pharmaceuticals - that it only
takes about a month to correct imbalances with supplements
- that eating natural, paleo foods will fix any condition
in the body.

Dave, you are free to carry on your idealistic
romance with natural hygiene type principles, but
I oppose your insisting on making your personal
purist preferences list policy.  Naturally, as
listowner you can call the shots as you want but
if taking supplements helps somebody stay on or
transition to a paleodiet, it is important that
this information is allowed to be shared - just
like it would be helpful to your own attempts
with a paleodiet if somebody were to post
information about new breakthroughs in dentures.
Trying to emulate a paleodiet does not necessarily
mean living as a caveman.

Peter