From:
Carrie Coineandubh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 07:59:56 -0700
> Date:    Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:42:34 -0500
> From:    Kristina Carlton <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Rosedale
>
> Hi Hanni,
>
> After I have eaten the chicken off the bones I cook them in the crockpot
> for
> about 24 hours. At that point they are actually very soft but maybe it is
> not good for the intestines. Oh well...

Dry cooked bones (baked, broiled, etc.) do become dry and brittle, denatured
and difficult to digest. That is why they pose a hazard to the gut as Hanni
mentioned (Hi Hanni! I didn't know you were on this list!). Wet cooked bones
(boiled, steamed) do not become dry and brittle, they become soft and almost
chewy, and pose little danger to the gut. However, they are soft because
many of the minerals are now in the water, not in the bone. That's why many
folks drink bone broth.

I have an excellent article on bones, cooked and raw, but it is a transcript
of a lecture by Bob Church, and is proprietary. It it geared toward ferrets,
but applies equally well to any meat-eating mammal. Anyone interested can
contact me privately for directions on how to get it.

--Carrie