From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 07:47:47 -0500
Wally Day wrote:

> My original post was more intended to emphasize the
> fact that even after the sun goes down it can still be
> pretty light. I am very skeptical of the notion that
> early humans suddenly ceased all activity at sundown.
> Hunting is but one of the many possible activities
> that may have kept them up at night.

And that pinpoints one of the problems I have with the
LIGHTS OUT book:  sometimes I think their basic premises are
a bit shaky.  They say we should be going to sleep at
sundown, and only the advent of fire is what has made us
change this.  I find this a bit difficult to swallow whole.
While some things may have been more challenging after dark
without a light, it is hard for me to agree that this made
these things totally "undoable."
--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee