From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 22:47:54 +0100
Well, for one thing, fuel would not necessarily have always been available in every area. And, I once had a look at modern reconstructions of Upper Palaeolithic-era dwellings, when I was once in Austria(I'm pretty sure there were no genuine palaeo dwellings before that era), and they were pretty hopeless at protecting against the weather(wind/rain etc.), being just branches shoved together in hut-like fashion, with plenty of openings for rain to get through. Probably no point in mentioning the caves as shelter as current view among palaeoanthropologists is that they didn't live in those caves, that the caves were just religious sites for the shamans. Besides, caves like Lascaux etc. tended to be pretty wet, not suitable for starting a fire.

Seal lamps would never have been a palaeo thing, and torches are not ideal for transporting fires across large distances, given wind etc.

And cooking on an electric oven can no doubt be very quick(though, judging from the cooking-recipes I see online, it generally takes a lot longer, especially because SAD-eaters prefer meat to be well-done, mostly).

 But cooking palaeo-style would have usually have had to involve setting up a fire in layers(even a successful modern camp-fire requires a layer of newspapers, many dry twigs, a night-log(to keep the fire going during times when there's no supervision) etc. Starting a fire for palaeolithic man would have required much more than pressing a button and setting the exact temperature or using a tinderbox or matches, so that would take up time. Also, judging from some of the more primitive cooking methods out there, such as hot stone cooking:-

http://www.cesa.org.uk/understanding_cooking_on_hot_stones.asp

they do tend to take quite a bit of time(35-40 minutes if the above is correct).

Geoff

Get the best of MSN on your mobile
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/147991039/direct/01/