From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:06:29 -0400
Most of us long time list members ignore Dr. B. entirely.

As to the "victim philosophy", everyone dies, most people get sick. Wally
died from liver cancer, it is said. Paleo living isn't going to prevent you
from getting sick or dying. You may get cancer even if you are strict paleo.
This is a  good opportunity for me to realize that I am not God (or any
similar concept) and that I cannot control my destiny no matter how "good" I
eat.

I had a friend who rode a motorcycle to work. I thought that was dangerous.
He died in his early forties from a metastasized melanoma. All his
motorcycle riding didn't matter, obviously, to his final outcome.

The bad part of paleo eating in general is that we tend to feel that we are
victims of our own bad eating habits if we cheat. Dr. B.'s "victim
philosophy" is a part of my philosophy, in a way.

In reality none of us knows how we will end up, and this is simply more
responsibility than we can realistically assume. In a way I am playing God
when I think "uh oh, I shouldn't have eaten that cookie". I can say in an
abstract sense that cookies are bad because they contain flour, and that
when I eat too many I suffer from allergies, but I cannot really say that if
I get cancer, it was because of the cookies I ate, or that if I am very
strict paleo, I won't get cancer. In that sense, I am playing to the victim
philosophy, something I'd like to work on and eliminate.

I hope this isn't too abstract or poorly worded to understand.

--Richard