From:
Manuel Bello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:41:11 -0500
I would like some advise on what I should eat to train (swimming) and what
to snack on the day of the meet. It seems that anaerobic (weight lifting)
requires more glucose (carbs) but for aerobic training, like swimming,
athletes can do well with mostly a protein diet. I don't know the science
of this, but my gut feeling is that it should be the other way around.
What should I snack on at the meets between events for optimal performance?

Also, what's the story with slow and fast twitch muscle fibers? I always
thought that muscles engaged in maintaining posture have a surplus of slow
twitch fibers so that they can use energy efficiently. Endurance athletes,
I thought, had a greater ratio of slow twitch fibers and sprinters had a
greater ratio of fast twitch. So hunters would only engage inneficient
fast twitch muscle fibers for a quick sprint and conserve energy while
stalking or just hanging out. What would be the evolutionary advantage for
h/g or modern paleo eaters in using food to feed these fibers?

I thank you in advance for your brilliant responses (I say this sincerely,
I learn a lot from this group).
Manuel Bello in Mayami