From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:55:05 -0500
Thomas Dekany wrote:

>That being said, I'll tell you why someone may feel best with meat.
>Nearly 50% of the population produces lots of stomach acid - that is
>what needed to break down animal protein. So blood type O followers will
>do very well with this diet. Others will struggle with the exception of
>the ones that will respond to my post saying that I am simply wrong.

You are simply wrong!

Didn't want to disappoint you.

Seriously, this is an issue I've done some research on, and I believe it
is mistaken.  Although I think it is true that type A people secrete
*less* stomach acid than type O people, it has never been shown (by
D'Adamo or anyone else, to my knowledge) that they produce
*insufficient* stomach acid for the digestion of meat, or that type Os
are somehow better equipped for this.  All protein, animal or plant in
origin, is digested by protease enzymes.  Stomach acid activates those
enzymes, and if stomach acid is too low, then digestion is impaired.
That condition is called hypochlorhydria.  It is an *abnormal*
condition, for people of all blood types.

Anecdotally, I have type A blood, and I consume large quantities of
animal protein every day, and have done so for years.  I suffer no
digestive difficulties at all on this diet.  I certainly don't
struggle.  Quite the opposite; I feel very good eating this way.

Todd Moody